So many of us work hard every day and feel like we can barely get through each day without some sort of energy boost.
Many of us have turned to sugar for a quick pick me up, but we now know that does more harm than good. Most of us do not realize that the low energy, bloated feeling, and sluggishness can be a result of excess toxins in our body.
Every day we are exposed to environmental pollutants, preservatives, heavy metals, pesticides and cancer-causing chemicals.
We inhale, ingest or come into contact with these toxins. Once in our bodies they get stored in the tissues and cells throughout our body. Many of these toxins have been proven to be harmful, cancer, reproductive, metabolic and mental health consequences.
Detoxing can help us reduce the toxic overload before it becomes a major health problem.
Detox helps to naturally reduce inflammation, boost energy, support digestion cleanse the liver and promote healthier skin.
Some of the signs of toxic overload include-
- Food cravings
- Low energy
- Bad breath
- Mood swings
- Belly fat
- Aches and pains
- Skin problems
Detoxing is an opportunity for our bodies especially our liver to have a break to start to recover.
Our bodies are designed to remove toxins via our skin, breathe our lungs, our liver via the gastrointestinal tract. Our kidneys via our urine.
Spring is a great time to do a detox and it will help the body shed a few kilograms, plus increase energy levels in time for summer.
5 major benefits of Detoxing
- Removes toxins from the body and cleanses the liver
- Reduces inflammation
- Assisting in weight loss
- Promotes healthy skin
- Boosts energy levels and mental alertness
Advice for things you can to do at home-
Dry skin brushing
- Dry Skin Brushing utilizes a natural bristle brush to clear the pores of debris, thus allowing toxins to flow out easier.
- Jumping into a cold shower forces the muscles to contract, which in turn moves toxins along to be processed. It also opens the arteries allowing a fresh supply of blood to infiltrate the organs.
- Once jumping into a cold shower, it takes about a minute for the body to adjust and become comfortable.
- 3 minutes in the shower will suffice
- Warning: Make sure the environment you'll endure after a cold shower allows the body temperature to rise.
- Light exercise such as walking or riding a bike is an excellent tool for expelling toxins from the body.
- It forces the muscles to contract which is the catalyst for the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is in charge of transporting toxins throughout the body for disposal.
Exercise will inevitably induce sweating which allows the body
Drink plenty good filtered water daily (2.5 litres at least)
- Lemons are known for their exceptional ability to cleanse the body of toxins.
Squeeze 1 whole lemon into a measuring cup (around 1/4 cup of lemon juice -- you may need 2 lemons depending on their size), add water until the volume reaches 8 ounces, and sip this concoction slowly over a half hours’ time.
Add to your diet foods such as-
- Apple cider vinegar
- Aloe Vera gel.
- Cruciferous vegetables such as Kale, Collard Greens and Cabbage have the incredibly ability to increase the detox activity of cells in the liver.
Steam Kale for 2 minutes or Collard Greens for 4 minutes to keep the living enzymes they contain alive. Then add Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Diced Avocado and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Here at Mandurah Health Supply - mandurahhealthsupply.com.au
We have many great products to help you-
- When the body becomes ill or is over burdened with toxins, the PH level becomes very acidic and the body becomes an environment where illness can thrive.
- Apple cider vinegar is best known for its ability to alkalize the body which is a level of PH that allows the body to function much more properly.
- It can be used on salads or two teaspoons in a cup, add water and then drink.
- Milk Thistle is an herb synonymous with maintaining healthy liver function as well as the kidneys.
- Milk Thistle has the ability to protect the liver from toxic damage while at the same time helping it to detoxify.
- Activated Charcoal comes in tablet, powder, or capsule form and is fundamentally known for adhering to the endotoxins
- Activated Charcoal is said to pass through the body without causing a detox reaction.
- Alka-Seltzer Gold combined with the antioxidant glutathione and lemon water are quite effective.
- 2 Alka-Seltzer Gold tablets in 8oz of water with lemon or lime juice for alkalization and vitamin C.
- Follow the Alka-Seltzer Gold with 6-8 capsules (250mg/capsule) of glutathione or 1500-2000mg of oral liposomal glutathione.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid is an antioxidant made by the body, but is also obtained through certain foods such as broccoli, spinach, and potatoes.
- For those with chronic Lyme, Alpha Lipoic Acid helps the body recycle glutathione (i.e., the body's master detoxing agent) and vitamin C.
Caution: Do not take alpha lipoic acid if you have mercury amalgams or toxicity. Alpha lipoic acid is a phenomenal chelator, but taking high dosages with mercury toxicity can result in serious redistribution symptoms. You should also avoid alpha lipoic acid if you have a sulphur sensitivities.
- Bentonite Clay is an edible clay that collects toxins as it passes through the digestive tract and remove them from the body. The longer it is used, the more toxins it will remove.
Warning: Bentonite Clay can cause intestinal discomfort so it is important to consume plenty of water while taking it.
- Chlorella has the powerful detoxifying ability to bind to toxins and prevent them from being reabsorbed in the digestive tract. It's commonly used in conjunction with cilantro for removing heavy metals.
Some people can't digest the cell membrane of Chlorella, therefore finding a chlorella product with a "broken cell wall" would be best.
- Turmeric is one of the best herbs for detoxification of the liver as its well known for increasing bile production. Bile is the means of transportation for toxins from the liver to the colon.
- Curcumin, the active ingredient in Turmeric, is known for its exceptional anti-inflammatory properties. Shutting down inflammation (i.e., cytokines).
- Dandelion is the most known for increasing bile production in the liver. Bile is the means for toxins transportation from the liver to the colon.
- Dandelion is also helpful for detoxing the kidneys
- Diatomaceous Earth is a sedimentary rock with a hardness factor of 7 (Diamonds are 9) that allows it to scrub the inside of intestinal walls.
- Once it's consumed and enter the digestive tract, it beings to absorb bacteria, viruses, parasites, heavy metals and endotoxins. Which prevents reabsorption into the body
- The recommendation is to start with 1 teaspoon in a glass of water daily while while working up to 1-2 tablespoons daily.
- Warning: Diatomaceous Earth acts much like fibre in that it can cause constipation. Be sure to drink plenty of water to counteract its potential to constipate.
· Epsom Salt is magnesium sulphate. It is absorbed through the skin when taken in a hot bath.
· Magnesium acts as a muscle relaxer and the sulphur increases bile production in the liver. Bile is the means of transportation for toxins from the liver to the colon.
· Pour 2-4 cups of Epsom Salt into a bath that is hot but not too hot and soak for 20 - 30 minutes.
Warning: If you're sulphur sensitive, consider talking with your doctor before using
The lymphatic system relies on the physical contraction of muscles for stimulation and to move toxins along. Red root isn't a replacement for physical activity but if you're immobile or living a sedentary lifestyle, it can help.
• L-Ornithine is an amino acid that is used for removing high levels of ammonia from the body which is a toxin created by Lyme bacteria and the excessive by-product of a CBS gene mutation.
• Ammonia, when in excess within the body, can cause great cognitive disruption and hinder a person's ability to read, think, or talk.
• The body's natural ability to remove ammonia may be hindered by a CBS gene mutation. Testing for a CBS gene mutation can be done through 23andMe, and then running your test results through geneticgenie.org
Modified Citrus Pectin
• Modified Citrus Pectin is a powdered derivative from the peel and pulp of citrus fruit.
• It is commonly used as a detoxifer of bio toxins produced by mould, Lyme, etc. that were left behind in the body and continue to cause symptoms through their presence (i.e., inflammation).
• Modified Citrus Pectin has also been shown to be a gentle detoxifier of heavy metals, specifically aluminium, from the circulatory system (i.e., blood). Because of its gentle nature in removing heavy metals, it often used before more aggressive chelators like cilantro and DMSA in people who have strong detox reactions.
• Molybdenum is a trace mineral that is used specifically for the reduction of a candida Herxheimer reaction.
• Candida releases a toxin know as acetaldehyde which can't be detoxed from the body without molybdenum converting it to acetic acid.
• People have reported that a dosage of 1000mcg of molybdenum daily for up to a couple of months is needed to notice a difference.
• Molybdenum is also used for bringing down excess sulphites in the body that may result from a CBS gene mutation.
Warning: Molybdenum can potentially block the absorption of copper, which is a metal needed by the body to function properly.
Other therapies that are great to assist Detox
Coffee enemas stimulate production of glutathione S-transferase (GST) in the liver. GST is a powerful enzyme that binds to, metabolizes, and removes toxic substances from the body.
The constituents in the coffee are absorbed directly into the liver through the colon wall.
Add 3 tablespoons of organic ground coffee to boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 additional minutes covered. Strain if needed and let cool before administering. Lie on right side in the bathroom, and begin administering the coffee into the rectum via the enema. Hold the coffee for 5-15 minutes, and then evacuate the colon.
Warning: Don't hold the coffee for any longer than 15 minutes as it then will begin to be absorbed into the body at greater concentrations than desired, or what is considered to be healthy.
Also check with your doctor or treating physician first before performing a coffee enema to be sure that your body can tolerate it.
Malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals may occur with long term use of coffee enemas, specifically calcium and fat-soluble vitamins.
• Colon Hydrotherapy, also known as a colonics or colon cleansing, is a procedure in which a unique mixture of water, and sometimes herbs, is injected into the colon via the rectum to assist the removal of unwanted constituents.
• The colon is responsible for absorbing nutrients from food for the body and forming faeces for evacuation.
• Overtime, as one ages and depending on a person's lifestyle, a colon can become sluggish, and detoxification becomes impacted. Such consequences include stagnant faecal matter, wall-impacted mucus, toxins being re-absorbed into the body, and even parasite thriving.
Lymph drainage massage
• Lymph massages help to stimulate the lymph flow of the lymphatic system as it can become sluggish while battling Lyme Disease.
• The lymphatic system is responsible for collecting toxins from cells; thus allowing the body to remove them through sweat, bowel movements, and urine.
• A lymph massage is recommended 3 or 4 times during first part of Lyme treatment and 2 times after.
Warning: The masseuse must be certified in lymph massage specifically. Avoid deep tissue or muscle massages as they will expel toxins from the tissue and leave you feeling worse for a day or two.
• Utilizing the skin as a means of detoxification is genius as 20 minutes of sweating is equivalent to the work the kidneys accomplish in 24 hours.
• Portable Saunas are available.
• Don't use soap after a sauna as even after you're done, your body is still removing toxins through the pores. A cool shower without soap will suffice.
Warning: People who are heat intolerant should be wary about using a sauna as a means of detoxification.
Come in and see me at Mandurah Health Supply for a chat about what is best for you.
Happy, careful detoxing